[geeks] IPCop and pfSense...

nate at portents.com nate at portents.com
Fri Apr 18 13:59:19 CDT 2008

>> I just came across this firewall which I'd never heard of before:
>>
>> http://www.endian.com/en/products/software/
>>
>> Anyone have any experience with that?
>>
> Funny, i just ran across that a few days ago, when searching for some
> information about the endianness of processors to pass on to a friend.
> It's apparently based on ipcop, which was originally a fork of
> smoothwall.  I've used smoothwall for a few years now mostly because
> it's very quick and easy to setup.

I can't find much on Endian, but someone attempted to review it here:

http://www.fsckin.com/2007/11/14/7-different-linuxbsd-firewalls-reviewed/

Comments in that blog post on it describe it as more resource intensive
than they think it should be.

I also noticed in the comments someone recommended Untangle, which I'd
never heard of:

http://www.untangle.com/

(I'm still leaning toward pfSense...)

- Nate