[geeks] Wireless Router reccomendations

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Mon Apr 14 08:35:33 CDT 2008

>From: Phil Stracchino <alaric at metrocast.net>
>Date: 2008/04/14 Mon AM 05:32:47 CDT
>To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [geeks] Wireless Router reccomendations

<snip>

>I'd have bought a pure AP myself, if it wasn't for the ridiculous
>nonsense of less costing more.  But if less *works better*, that changes
>the equation.

I have a Motorola Access Point upstairs, and my DD-WRT firmware'd WRT54G in the basement, and that works out fine for me (I have different SSIDs and channels for each).

The Motorola Access Point was picked up at a "fire sale" at CompUSA several years ago when Motorola apparently wanted out of the business YESTERDAY. I think they were $10 at the time.

I have a small pile of WAP11s (802.11b) that I have no earthly use for, but I got those for around $20/each back in the day as refurb's for future projects (emphasis on future, as in still hasn't happened yet). Oh, and I also have a Linksys WSB24 "boot warmer", an amplifier to boost the two outputs of a WRT54 or WAP11...

Lionel