[geeks] Wireless Router reccomendations

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Mon Apr 14 05:47:06 CDT 2008

On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 06:32:47AM -0400, Phil Stracchino wrote:
> I'd have bought a pure AP myself, if it wasn't for the ridiculous
> nonsense of less costing more.  But if less *works better*, that changes
> the equation.

I've never used them myself for this, but would it be better to use a
WiFi interface such as a PCI card or USB dongle, and the add on software
for Linux to make your computer an access point? Assuming of course that
you were going to use a computer as your router.

I think that a PCI card would need an antenna on an extension cable and
the USB dongle would have to also be on an extension cord as sticking it
behind a metal cased computer would limit its range. It may be enough,
I have two computers with USB Bluetooth dongles and they both cover my
apartment, although they are stuck in USB ports on the back of the computer.

However the last thing I want to do is to have my network accessable
from the street, like my DECT (1.8gHz) phones.

Geoff.