[geeks] Wireless Router reccomendations

Michael Parson mparson at bl.org
Sun Apr 13 21:08:58 CDT 2008

On Sun, 13 Apr 2008, Lionel Peterson wrote:

>> On Sat, 12 Apr 2008, Jeff Cole wrote:
>>
>>> So, it looks like my Linksys WRT54G has given up the ghost since
>>> it got rained on. It served me quite well as I bought it in 2002 I
>>> think. I don't need anything fancy, just the functionality that the
>>> WRT54G gave me. The ability to put a third party firmware on there
>>> that gives me CLI access is desired. 802.11b/g is necessary.
>>
>> I've been buying Airlink 101 routers from Fry's.  They normally go
>> for ~$40, but Fry's often has them on sale for $20.  With a bit of
>> work, you can get dd-wrt on them.
>
> Not to be too ignorant, but if it can run the same software (dd-wrt),
> doesn't that mean it has the same chips, hence the same performance
> problems as the Linksys WRT54GL?

I don't think all the dd-wrt boxes are the same.  CPU-wise, at least, my
WRT54G (original model, before the G/GL mess) uses a Broadcom BCM4712:

~ # cat /proc/cpuinfo
system type             : Broadcom BCM4712 chip rev 1
processor               : 0
cpu model               : BCM3302 V0.7
BogoMIPS                : 199.47
wait instruction        : no
microsecond timers      : yes
tlb_entries             : 32
extra interrupt vector  : no
hardware watchpoint     : no
VCED exceptions         : not available
VCEI exceptions         : not available

And the Airlink101 I installed at my sister's place has an Atheros AR2315:

root at gw:~# cat /proc/cpuinfo
system type             : Atheros AR2315
processor               : 0
cpu model               : MIPS 4KEc V6.4
BogoMIPS                : 182.26
wait instruction        : yes
microsecond timers      : yes
tlb_entries             : 16
extra interrupt vector  : yes
hardware watchpoint     : no
ASEs implemented        :
VCED exceptions         : not available
VCEI exceptions         : not available

I'm not familiar enough with the rest of it to give any further details.

Besides, I didn't think the OP was the one complaining about the WRT, it
was someone else?

--
Michael Parson
mparson at bl.org