[geeks] Difference Engine at the Computer History Museum

Mike Meredith very at zonky.org
Thu Apr 10 16:35:58 CDT 2008

On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 10:38:29 -0500 (CDT), Lionel Peterson wrote:
> Seriously, IIRC Mr. Babbage never finished his design, so Nathan &
> Co. are really to be commended, because they also had to debug it...

He certainly never finished the design for the Analytical Engine, but
the Difference Engine design was certainly finished (I don't think "a
few minor errors" can count as an unfinished design).

> Now, is this machine "Vista Capable"? ;^)

The Difference Engine was a very fancy calculator; not programmable
unlike the Analytical Engine. As to running Vista, I'm not sure Babbage
ever envisioned a mouse :)

--
Mike Meredith (http://zonky.org/)
 "Why are we hiding from the police, daddy?"