[geeks] [UPDATE] VMware and VALinux 2240

Ido Dubrawsky idubraws at dubrawsky.org
Mon Apr 7 16:43:17 CDT 2008

I finally got a chance to play around and watch the machine while I
started VMware.  It looks like this is NOT a memory or a disk access
issue but rather an ACPI issue.  When I started one of the virtual
machines as it was booting the machine just shut off completely.
Looking through the logs after it booted I noticed that there were
complaints about a non-ACPI compliant BIOS (the motherboard is an Intel
440GX+ board and has a history of having a very buggy BIOS).  My
suspicion is that the VMware software is trying to boot the system and
diddles the BIOS in some way and makes the system completely unstable --
or it's just instability in general due to the buggy ACPI.  INow when I
start a virtual machine it just crashes.  Looks like I'm going to have
to either migrate my virtual images to another machine (which I'll have
to build or buy and then figure out what I'm going to do with this one)
or try another virtual hosting software.  Unfortunately VMware has the
widest support for operating systems.  Bummer -- I was hoping it would
be easier to fix than this.

Ido

--
Ido Dubrawsky