[geeks] Solaris: zfs does not allow copies option

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Sun Apr 6 22:39:20 CDT 2008

On Apr 6, 2008, at 17:18 , Jonathan Groll wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 06, 2008 at 03:02:26AM -0400, Shannon Hendrix wrote:
>> Several articles on ZFS say on a single drive you can use the copies
>> option to make ZFS keep multiple copies of data just like it does
>> metadata, allowing ZFS to repair errors even on a single drive.
>>
>> However:
>>
>> % zfs set copies=2 sys/home
>> cannot set property for 'sys/home': invalid property 'copies'
>>
>> Did they remove this feature?
>>
>> So far I can't find out what the deal is.
>>

> As far as I know it was only introduced with B61, perhaps you are
> running with ZS derived from an earlier version?

I don't have any idea what B61, but I assume it is an OpenSolaris
release like Nevada or Indiana.

I'm running the last GA, from August 2007.

I'll just have to wait.  Too much work has gone into setting the
server up at this point  and hopefully the new Solaris release is
coming real soon.

I've heard it will happen this month, but then I don't believe Sun has
said anything about that.