[geeks] ZFS raidz and set copies

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Sun Apr 6 16:28:21 CDT 2008

On Apr 6, 2008, at 16:46 , Jonathan Groll wrote:

> ZFS has the ability to set the number of copies saved of each file for
> very important directories, e.g. "zfs set copies=3". Now I know that
> some of you guys have been playing around with ZFS, and so I was
> wondering if there was any point to increasing the number of copies if
> you already have a raidz pool (which should already be redundant)?

It appears this feature has been removed in Solaris 10 U4 (08/07).

zfs says the property "copies" is not valid.

Kinda sucks, I was hoping to use it for single drive data redundancy
for important stuff.

> Also, like Shannon Hendrix I have a mixed collection of oldish drives
> that I plan to use for ZFS, how well does raidz handle unequal drive
> size?

Actually, both of my drives are new: 80GB WD that came with my new
server, and a 400GB Seagate that I had never used.

My understanding is it works best if you have equal sizes, like most
any RAID software.