[geeks] Thoughts? (Cheap NAS with nice feature set)

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Sat Apr 5 17:35:05 CDT 2008

On Sat, Apr 05, 2008 at 06:49:55PM -0400, Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> On Apr 5, 2008, at 12:37 , Joshua Boyd wrote:
>

> >If linux performance isn't essential and you don't care about
> >windows, you can use ZFS on Solaris and OSX directly, then use ZFS
> >via FUSE on Linux.
>
> Interesting idea for when I control everything.
>
> The problem is that "sneaker net" means carrying a drive somewhere
> using my sneakers, i.e. walking/driving/etc.

Yeah.

So what I used to do was set the portable drive to have a small FAT32
partition at the beginning (1-4 gigs), and on that partition I kept a
DMG of the ext2fs drivers for OSX and the installer of the windows
ext2fs drivers.

So, when I took the drive to a new machine it was a snap to install the
appropriate drivers.

This does leave Irix and Solaris out in the cold.  But then again, I
only did it with USB drives, which Irix can't use anyway (but it can
potentially use FW drives).

> The world needs a portable file system, that doesn't suck, that
> everyone has access to.

And as soon as you can convince MS of that fact, you might be able to do
something better.