[geeks] Thoughts? (Cheap NAS with nice feature set)

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Sat Apr 5 10:16:10 CDT 2008

On Apr 5, 2008, at 07:58 , Michael-John Turner wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 04, 2008 at 04:16:14PM -0400, Alois Hammer wrote:
>> And, honestly?  I can't stand Sun Solaris.  The userland tools are
>> terrible, and getting good GNU tools on seems to be an exercise in
>> hair-pulling, cursing, and wondering why stuff doesn't get updated
>> for
>> months or longer.  (Or has someone produced an alternative to
>> SunFreeware?)
>
> Sorry to sound like a stuck record, but pkgsrc works pretty well on
> Solaris (not perfectly mind you). A fair amount of the GNU toolset
> is there
> and should work out the box.

I'm experimenting with it now.

I've used it for years on NetBSD.

Do you use zones?  How do you put packages in a zone?

I was planning to build the packages in the global zone, and then copy
them to a zone and install them there.

Have you had any issues I should plan for?

Also, what compiler setup do you use for pkgsrc?

So far the stuff that came with the machine and Blastwave gcc, besides
being far outdated, won't build anything.

I keep getting GNU C shared object library errors.  Usually it is an
ld error about libgcc_so.1 missing.

Do I need to use the pkgsrc GNU compilers and bootstrap them?

I would really like to install one compiler for everything and use it,
if possible.

--
Shannon Hendrix
shannon at widomaker.com