[geeks] Fink vs Darwinports

Michael-John Turner mj at mjturner.net
Sat Apr 5 06:53:56 CDT 2008

On Fri, Apr 04, 2008 at 04:00:30PM -0500, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
> So, what's the consensus on the least-suckful way to get Unix-ish
> applications and libraries onto Mac OS without having to resolve
> dependencies by hand?  I've used both fink and DarwinPorts years and
> years ago, and both of them tended to be unreliable and have outdated
> software.  Has either one improved any?

I can't comment on GTK specifically, but I've had pretty good luck using
pkgsrc[1] on my OS X systems. Here's a quick guide to getting started:
http://wiki.netbsd.se/How_to_use_pkgsrc_on_Mac_OS_X. It used to require a
case-sensitive filesystem, but AFAIK that's no longer the case, but you can
install it in a disk image for good measure. See
http://blog.carrel.org/2006/08/ignore-pkgsrc-disk-image-instructions.html

[1] http://www.pkgsrc.org/

-mj
--