[geeks] opensolaris versus solaris GA

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Sat Apr 5 02:01:16 CDT 2008

One more question:

Have any of you run both Solaris 10 and OpenSolaris?

If so, did you find anything about running OpenSolaris inferior to
using the "official" releases from Sun?

It seems to have a nicer installer, better documentation and help, and
a more active user community.

I have read a lot about it, but Sun only says the primary differences
is that OpenSolaris does not provide a ready-to-run configuration.

There are projects which do, so is that really the only primary
difference?

My main concern would be reliability, and the only reason I'm
considering this is because it seem like support is better.

eek... 0300... yeah, I'll be real productive tomorrow...

--
Shannon Hendrix
shannon at widomaker.com