[geeks] Thoughts? (Cheap NAS with nice feature set)

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Fri Apr 4 16:38:08 CDT 2008

>From: Alois Hammer <aloishammer at casearmour.net>
>Date: 2008/04/04 Fri PM 03:16:14 CDT
>To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [geeks] Thoughts? (Cheap NAS with nice feature set)

>On Fri, 4 Apr 2008 15:37:34 -0400, "Joshua Boyd" <jdboyd at jdboyd.net>
>>
>> I think that a built in bittorrent client has potential to be really
>> useful in a family setting.
>
>Unless you're a Comcast customer, in which case, your first question
>should be, "Does this thing support encryption, and is it going to be
>upgradeable to the next round of arms-race protocol changes?"  Besides,

I dunno, I'm a Comcast sustomer and my bog-standard BitTorrent client works quite well - I've not noticed any problems with it (performance-wise). Now, port 25 has been blocked for me, becuase they don't like that I access email on Verizon's servers (nor my wife's Yahoo email access), and their answer to "use port 587" doesn't work for Verizon, but it does for Yahoo...

Bastards.

Oh how I pine for FiOS - other parts of my town have it, but I choose to move into a new, remote neighborhood so I won't see FiOS for a long time (new buired copper plant won't be displaced for years, and they won't run FiOS to our neighborhood over a 2 mile dead run (no customers between my neighborhood and the closest FiOS "trunk")...

Lionel