[geeks] Thoughts? (Cheap NAS with nice feature set)

Alois Hammer aloishammer at casearmour.net
Fri Apr 4 14:35:09 CDT 2008

I've seen a lot of reviews of this sort of appliance, and the one thing
they all seem to have in common is that they tend to sacrifice
performance and/or manageability for useless or near-useless
misfeatures, like "Share pictures with friends across the Internet!" or
"Built-in BitTorrent client!"

I'm getting ready for a major storage upgrade -- probably a 2TB
(subtract for purposely-misleading labeling and formatting/partitioning
headroom) device -- and I'm definitely going with either a customized
NAS Linux/BSD distro, or a general-purpose distro (Ubuntu Server?)

It's definitely all going in a general-purpose case of some sort.  I'm
toying with the idea of stuffing in one of the VIA-core Mini-ITX boards
so I can take advantage of hardware-accelerated full-disk crypto.  If
not, then probably another Intel DG33FBC to complement the one I just
installed in the firewall/router.