[geeks] Dell T105 server arrives

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Wed Apr 2 10:47:17 CDT 2008

On Wed, Apr 02, 2008 at 10:57:27AM -0500, Lionel Peterson wrote:

> Take a look at Ubuntu Server JeOS - "Just enough OS" - it is an under
> 200 Meg server image that is text-only, and you add the parts you
> need. Unfortunately, it is designed to run in VMware (and some other
> virtual environments), not real hardware.

It certainly saves on diskspace.  I can't say that it made a noticable
dent in memory usage.  But then the real hogs are the MS Windows VMs,
the worst being the SQL server one.

I do find some of the JeOS choices questionable though.  For instance,
why are they supplying only the IDE drivers for disk?  I would have
thought that using the LSI driver that VMWare defaults to would have
been higher performance.  I suppose I don't know the ins and outs of
disk usage under KVM or whatever though (I believe that Xen uses its own
drivers rather rather than IDE or SCSI though).