[geeks] Dell T105 server arrives

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Wed Apr 2 10:19:38 CDT 2008

On Apr 2, 2008, at 08:08 , Lionel Peterson wrote:

>> To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>> Subject: [geeks] Dell T105 server arrives
>
> <snip>
>
>> System diagnostic lights are very useful, but did they have to
>> default
>> to the "OK" status being all four lights turned on?
>
> As I recall, as power-up/self-test progresses, each light turns on
> and indicates successful testing of each major subcomponent.
>
> Leaving all the lights on is "The Right Thing To Do" (IMHO), and in
> a tower config like this it makes sense to locate them on the front
> (as the back is not as accessible as in a rackmount server).

Most systems I've used only show lights when there is an error.  It's
not a big deal, I was just stating my personal preference for this unit.

>> DVD drive is bare bones ROM.  Excellent DVD superdrives are $25,
>> quantity one, so I think Dell should offer that as an option.
>
> They said it was DVD/CD-R/W, I figured as much. Remember, the
> upgrade was *free* - I think they wanted to shed non-burners, but as
> another mentioned, do you really burn DVDs on a server? They have to
> supply DVD readers to support MS server OS (which used to be on CD).

You don't understand... I mean they should offer the option.  Their
burners are 3 times the cost of nicer burners.  A Dell pricing oddity,
that's all.

I'm not saying they should have offered a better free drive.

>> System BIOS is actually decent.  Absolutely zero options for
>> controlling the low level hardware, which is expected on a server.
>> However, I would like the option of slowing memory and CPU down in
>> cases where power savings is important.
>
> I havn't seen any server boards that offer under/over clocking
> abilities, though I am sure some are out there. This is already a
> fairly low-power system, and I wouldn't consider the opportunity to
> lower the clock speed a negative. Also, I don't think Opterons
> support a "speedstep" type technology - these servers are designed
> for 24x7 operation at full speed (IMHO).

Opterons do support speed stepping, always have, and this unit does.

This is an office server, so being able to slow it down is useful.  It
keeps it even quieter.

I'm just noting the feature set and things I saw, it's not a
complaint, so there's no need to defend Dell... :)

>> My initial impression is that Solaris is very slow to install, but
>> then it always is.  Sun really needs to rethink their installer,
>> because it makes a horrible first impression of system drive I/O
>> speed.
>
> Windows Vista has the right approach, IMHO - they simply lay down a
> complete system image, then delete unneded files once they are on
> the drive, rather than pick and choose individual files from the
> drive...

I prefer the UNIX approach done right myself.  I don't want to wait
for the full image to install and then delete things.

NetBSD has the right idea: a small base system that installs in no
time, and crystal clarity when adding the packages you need.

> I found no specific reference to the T105 on the Sun website, and no
> mention of Solaris support on the Dell site for the T105...

Sun's website lists all of the parts as supported.

Dell told me, on the phone, that the T105 is supported, and a Solaris
banner was on the page when I ordered.

Turns out it is supported, you just have to do some digging to get
what you need.

Only the ethernet controller is a problem, and the version 8 driver is
compatible except for permissions changes on some directories.  When
you install just say no to implementing those changes and it works fine.