[geeks] Dell T105 server arrives

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Wed Apr 2 07:18:05 CDT 2008

>From: Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com>
>Date: 2008/04/01 Tue PM 05:01:36 CDT
>To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [geeks] Dell T105 server arrives

>On Apr 1, 2008, at 17:16 , Mark wrote:
>
>> On 1 Apr 2008, at 19:22, Shannon Hendrix wrote:
>>> DVD drive is bare bones ROM.  Excellent DVD superdrives are $25,
>>> quantity one, so I think Dell should offer that as an option.
>>
>> How many people burn DVDs in a Server. Seriously?
>
>Everyone who needs backups and can't afford the extremely high cost of
>tape... :)

Not to get *too* picky, but a full system backup on this server would be what, about 20 DVDs? Very few commercial enterprises can afford to have someone stand over this box and shovel 20 DVD-Rs into the case to perform a backup. If you can't justify tape, use a removable HD (eSATA suggested). If you can't justify an external HD, I question the value of the data to be protected (500 Gig is $100 internally, $150 in an external eSATA case with SATA backplane adapter to run internal SATA to back panel).

<snip>

>> *shrugs* Maybe they supply a driver?
>
>No, they don't.
>
>I had to download an old Solaris 8 driver.
>
>It works, with some errors and bitching due to packaging and
>permissions changes, but it will be nice to see an updated driver.

Go to the source and downlaod a driver from Broadcom - http://broadcom.com/support/ethernet_nic/netxtreme_server.php

(or stuff a PCI Gigabit adapter that Solaris supports in it - the Netgear GA311 is now $9.95 at Office Depot (online, not sure of in-store price)

Lionel