[geeks] Solaris 10 patching...

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Tue Apr 1 19:06:16 CDT 2008

What's the best current method of getting Solaris patches?

We haven't visited this topic in awhile, and I think last time there
were changes afoot.

None of the scripts I had before work any more, so I assume it is due
to changes or restrictions in how Sun distributes patches and patch
information.

I got the 08/07 release of Solaris, which was the latest one according
to Sun's website, so I figured that patches listed after that date
should be installed.

However, running a quick check with showrev appears to list patches
that were made since August 2007.

I wrote a script to download patches by number, so now I'm trying to
find a way to generate a list of patches recommended for my system.

What are you guys using these days to keep up with patches?

I have a Sunsolve account, but no paid support, so I can't use the
update manager tool, at least it doesn't seem possible anyway.

Something else I've noticed, which could be incorrect information on
my part:

The Sun patch report conflicts with showrev.

For example, the latest patch report says that 125421-01 is a valid
and current patch, but showrev says that 120012-14 obsoletes it.

120012 is a kernel patch, 125421-01 added a feature to scp.

Is showrev incorrect (I would hope not) or are Sun's patch reports
just outdated?

I was going to just download the whole patch cluster for Solaris 10
x86, but every time I try that (and quite a few other files), I get an
error from the website saying that resource does not exist.