[geeks] Mac graphics opinions wanted

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Sat Sep 29 21:11:09 CDT 2007

On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 20:29:37 -0500
Michael Parson <mparson at bl.org> wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 29, 2007 at 02:25:02PM -0500, Bill Bradford wrote:
> > On Sat, Sep 29, 2007 at 12:16:34PM -0700, N. Miller wrote:
> >
> >> I'm doing a lot of work at home with my QuickSilver--multiple apps
> >> open (browsers, CSS editor, local MAMP stack running, etc.), and it's
> >> just getting pretty draggy.  I also do some lightweight Photoshop
> >> type stuff (PS, Gimp, and similar), too.  But, I'm on a tight budget
> >> at the moment, so am thinking Mini w/external boot disk, so am
> >> concerned about the graphics performance aspect and would therefore
> >> appreciate experiences of the Mac collective.
> >
> > The built-in Intel onboard graphics on an Intel Mini will be fine for
> > that.  The machine itself will probably "feel" at least 2-3x as fast
> > as the QS.
>
> Especially now that they are shipping with the Core 2 procs in them.
> The only person I've heard complain about their mini is my sister when
> she fires up iPhoto with her ~10k worth of 6 mega-pixel images.  She's
> got the 1.83 GHz Core Duo version.  She also gets spoiled real quickly,
> her previous computer was a PII-333 with 128 megs of RAM.  She forgets
> how slow it used to be for her.

Personally, I think the Mini needs much better graphics.  I decided to get a
Pro instead of a Mini after loading a Mini up and finding it a bit sluggish.

The Pro doesn't even notice I'm working yet.

Having said that, OWC now sells a 3GB memory kit for the Mini, which will
help if you would like to run apps like Aperature, or you like to keep a lot
of stuff open.

Aside:

I would like to see a "Fat Mini" with better graphics, 4GB
RAM capacity, and a bit more I/O.

If that machine were out right now, I'd be very tempted to get it instead of
a Pro.

--
shannon           | Work for something because it is good, not just because