[geeks] Mac graphics opinions wanted

Michael Parson mparson at bl.org
Sat Sep 29 20:29:37 CDT 2007

On Sat, Sep 29, 2007 at 02:25:02PM -0500, Bill Bradford wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 29, 2007 at 12:16:34PM -0700, N. Miller wrote:
>
>> I'm doing a lot of work at home with my QuickSilver--multiple apps
>> open (browsers, CSS editor, local MAMP stack running, etc.), and it's
>> just getting pretty draggy.  I also do some lightweight Photoshop
>> type stuff (PS, Gimp, and similar), too.  But, I'm on a tight budget
>> at the moment, so am thinking Mini w/external boot disk, so am
>> concerned about the graphics performance aspect and would therefore
>> appreciate experiences of the Mac collective.
>
> The built-in Intel onboard graphics on an Intel Mini will be fine for
> that.  The machine itself will probably "feel" at least 2-3x as fast
> as the QS.

Especially now that they are shipping with the Core 2 procs in them.
The only person I've heard complain about their mini is my sister when
she fires up iPhoto with her ~10k worth of 6 mega-pixel images.  She's
got the 1.83 GHz Core Duo version.  She also gets spoiled real quickly,
her previous computer was a PII-333 with 128 megs of RAM.  She forgets
how slow it used to be for her.

--
Michael Parson
mparson at bl.org