[geeks] looking for workstation/workbench

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Wed Sep 26 22:48:09 CDT 2007

I need to replace my current workstation desk.  I am getting ready to add a
desktop computer to it, and I also need to be able to set a computer on the
top when I am working on them.  Usually some embedded/appliance system I'm
programming or debugging.  It needs to sit without intefering with my desktop
use.

I think a 70-72 inch wide desk will do perfectly.

I'm having a heck of a time finding one though.

I don't want a hutch or, well, most of what I've seen so far.  I rather not
have wood, but something a little tougher.

I have visite Anthro and Formaspace, and they have nice stuff, but they are
too expensive.

I was hoping to get away with $300-400 if possible.

Unfortunately, Tidewater sucks for good furniture, and even Ikea is a 2.5
hour drive away.

I'll try to explain what I'm looking for in case someone has ideas or knows
where I might find it online.

       |                                          +----------+ |
       |                                          |          | |
       |                                          |          | |
       |  desktop space                           | 2U server| |
       |                                          | or embed | |
       |                                          +----------+ |
       |__/-------------\______________________________________+

The cutout area would be where I wanted my keyboard, slightly lower than the
desktop.  If I use a keyboard and mouse on the desktop, it hurts my back and
wrists.

Egads, that ascii drawing is horrible, but imagine a strong shelf well above
the monitor to hold small servers and random things, and some cable
management, and that's what I want.

If none of that makes sense, then just pointers to decent places to find
computer/workstation desks would be much appreciated.  Some place with a
website that doesn't suck and has good pictures of what they sell, or
something fairly close to Tidewater, Virginia that I could drive to.

Thanks guys.

--
shannon           | The trade of governing has always been monopolized by the