[geeks] KVM switch recommendations

nate at portents.com nate at portents.com
Wed Sep 26 16:55:17 CDT 2007

> The story I heard is that the NAME "Firewire" vs. iLink (Sony's name) vs.
> other stuff was the issue. Not the spec. The spec was free, but companies
> had to license the name.

Hmm, I just did some quick searches and turned this up:

"Power
Input voltage range: 8 to 33 V
Input power range: approximately 1 W
Output voltage range: approximately 18 V to 24 V
Output power range: up to approximately 15 W"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FireWire

"The 6-pin powered connector adds power output to support external
devices. Typically a device can pull about 7 to 8 watts from the port ;
however, the voltage varies significantly from different devices.[10]
Voltage is specified as unregulated and should nominally be about 25 Volts
(range 24 to 30). Apple's implementation on laptops is typically related
to battery power and can be as low as 9V and more likely about 12 Volts."

Footnote 10 references this:

http://developer.apple.com/documentation/HardwareDrivers/Conceptual/HWTech_FireWire/Articles/FireW_implementation.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40003892-SW1

"MacBook Computers (May 2007) ..."

"... FireWire cable power is present anytime the AC adaptor is powering
the system, including shutdown. The MacBook's six-pin FireWire connector
provides unregulated 9 V to 12 V power with a maximum load of 0.75 A.
Developers should design to use 7 W sustained power, or less.  Output
voltage depends on the system's battery charge level. Output voltage may
be lower when the battery is not fully charged."

All I have to say is wow, that's quite a range.

- Nate