[geeks] KVM switch recommendations

N. Miller velociraptor at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 15:24:57 CDT 2007

On Sep 26, 2007, at 12:53 PM, nate at portents.com wrote:

>> The USB, Firewire 400, and Firewire 800 power specs are horribly
>> abused by device manufacturers...
>
> I've heard the contention that because the specs often cost money,
> companies looking to save some money have simply guessed at the right
> power specs instead - which has created the wide variance we now see.

Given that I didn't pay for the spec, and the details (for USB
anyway) were quoted on one of the public web pages for at least one
of the major electronic parts houses, I would say that's b.s.  It's
in their best interest to help people design electronics that can
deal with both the spec and hardware that doesn't conform (otherwise
they won't sell components), so I trust the info they provide.

Firewire might be more of a black box; I know from reading even
companies like Apple that favor it do dumb stuff wrt to spec
conformance.  I've read horror stories about the original iSight, for
instance.  At least on Firewire accessory manufacturer recommends
isolating all FW devices behind a powered hub to prevent excess power
draw from compromising your motherboard.  Their rational being it's
cheaper to replace a $30 hub than your expensive Apple dual Xeon
motherboard.

=Nadine=