[geeks] Audio Channel Identification

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Wed Sep 19 08:15:04 CDT 2007

On Wed, Sep 19, 2007 at 02:25:37AM -0400, Sridhar Ayengar wrote:
> I'm trying to hook a Krell multi-channel integrated amp and a Velodyne
> powered sub directly to the computer.  I am using full-size speakers,
> including two pairs of dipole surrounds, all of which are THX certified.
>   I just don't feel like spinning my wheels screwing around with the
> computer's connectors.

The question is where does the sub-woofer sound come from? Does the
sound card decode it from the THX encoded stream? Does it come
from the center channel? Is it a combination of all channels?

Is it filtered to be only sounds below a certain frequency?

There are tons of sample sound files for download on the Internet.
I was able to locate all sorts of THX tests and even found a DVD
that THX put out.

You may be able to do it with just a simple signal generator.

All the sound cards that supported more than 2 channels I have owned,
including an Intel motherboard, had test programs that came with it.
Sometimes the chipset manufacturer's web site will have them too.

You may be disapointed with a random DVD as a test. Most of the sound
for the first Star Wars Movie (Phantom Menace) was stereo in normal
mode, and center speaker only in THX mode. The pod race was where it
really worked.

Ok, how many people had the SuperBeta demo tape with the
Helicopter scene from Apocalypse Now? How many times did you
play it?

Geoff.

IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838