[geeks] Apple Pro, CPU upgrades

Sevan / Venture37 venture37 at hotmail.com
Sat Sep 15 08:17:20 CDT 2007

> I find mine has a shit-tonne of power even at 2GHz, so I don't think and
upgrade is on> the card s for mine for a few years yet.

I went for the 8 Core with a radeon 1900, raid card stock hard disk & ram.
then upgraded the ram via crucial, will be stuffing 4 wd RE2 500GB disks in
the next month or so.
I've had the machine just over 2 weeks & I'm really really impressed by it.
Using vmware I tested a exchange setup, with 2 vm's with 2 virtual cpus, 1GB
ram running 2k3, exchange 2k3 & AD,  2 firewalls with 512m ram, single cpu & a
client running xp sp2 with 2 virtual cpus, 1 GB ram.
On the other had  my 2ghz core2duo mac mini manages 3 vm's running the 3 main
bsd's with 256mb ram allocated to each just fine, though things got slightly
choppy gui/mouse wise eveything else played along jut fine (I had video
playing in the browser at one point)

I'm surprised they're shipping the MacPro with only 1GB ram as standard, the
first couple of days where very painful when trying to get a single vm of
windows 2003 up with Q.

Sevan / Venture37