[geeks] FYI: Low-cost x86 1U server barebones on eBay

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Thu Sep 13 07:37:19 CDT 2007

Hello all,

I have no connection to the seller (except I bought two of these same servers for a tiny bit more each), but I thought some here might be interested.

These are Tyan 1U P4 478 socket systems with on-board Promise hardware RAID (IDE 133), dual 10/100 Ethernet (Intel), and have tiny LCD displays in the chassis. They are designed for PC2700 RAM, but work just fine with PC3200 RAM (meaning 2 Gigs of RAM can be bought new for under $100 in most areas).

They accomodate P4 CPUs in socket 478 form (I have a 2.53 GHz P4 in each of mine, about $30-40 on eBay), include the low-profile heatsink, and rack rails.

These are new units, witht he CPU, RAM and HD removed, but all the other parts are included to get this up and running (except IDE cable for the second drive).

They are $99/each, and shipping is pretty reasonable (eBay will estimate for you). Bottom line, I like mine, and thought others here might also be interested:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Tyan-Transport-GS10-B2094-S2094-1u-Server-Barebones_W0QQitemZ200150332782QQihZ010QQcategoryZ106269QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Or search for Tyan gs10 on eBay website

Tyan website link:

http://tyan.com/product_barebones_detail.aspx?pid=135