[geeks] Sun is now a Microsoft OEM...

Mark md.benson at gmail.com
Thu Sep 13 01:31:28 CDT 2007

On 13 Sep 2007, at 01:52, Bill Bradford wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 12, 2007 at 08:33:31PM -0400, Patrick Giagnocavo wrote:
>> Seeing as they charge a lot of money for their x64 hardware, and it
>> is decently designed (not quite as great as their older SPARC hw),
>> they are probably just doing it for the cash, which they need in any
>> case.
>
> They've always certified Windows on their x64 systems; now they're
> just adding it as an installed option on them.
>
> Some places want all of their *nix/Win hardware from a single vendor,
> and this lets Sun do that.

I can see a 2-way MO here. First is if they sell pre-installed
Windows servers they can swipe even more market share off Dell and
HP. That can only be a good thing IMHO ;). The other is Sun make a
lot of money off of support contracts. If one OS needs a *lot* of
supporting, it's Windows :)

--
Mark Benson

My Blog: