[geeks] Teachers

Patrick Giagnocavo patrick at zill.net
Tue Sep 11 18:38:08 CDT 2007

On Sep 11, 2007, at 6:56 PM, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:

>> The perks that come with being president (of the USA) are quite
>> significant
>> (from memory):
>>
>>  - 100% pension for rest of life ($400K/year, IIRC)
>>  - Security detail for rest of life
>>  - Office space & staff for rest of life
>>  - healthcare
>>  - etc

Plus $millions for public speaking fees, consultancy, etc.
Traditionally the first speech after leaving office is $1 million in
recent times.

Clinton never owned his own house before he was President.  Now he is
worth $30 to $50 million.

Heck, even Chelsea got a cushy job at a hedge fund out of the deal.

> But Congress gets most of that too, plus they have a "bank" that
> essentially
> loans them money they never pay back, assuming that scam hasn't
> been shut
> down, and a few other things like that.

High-dollar pensions, all-expense paid trips everywhere, plus medical
care; and high paying jobs for every niece, nephew, brother-in-law
and cousin you care to name.

Corruption?  Yes, absolutely.  Based on my own estimates, at least
2-5% of the local cost of buildings and infrastructure is spent on
graft and corruption; that is, local school buildings, etc.  I am
sure for Federal infrastructure the cost is much more.

And when you want to retire, you get a bunch of folks to contribute,
then withdraw from the race.  Anything left in the campaign fund you
can stick in your pocket, tax free.

> This is before getting into the private deals they make due to their
> position, which of course is a different topic.

Al Gore's father knew the score.  He would hold cattle auctions at
his farm where his major donors would buy the cattle.  But then they
never came around to pick the cattle up.  Next year, they would
"buy"  the same cattle again (all at inflated prices of course).

> The point is that Congress does make more money than the
> President's official
> salary.

Sometimes I wish that the terrorists HAD managed to take out the
Senate and the House of Reps.

Cordially

Patrick Giagnocavo
patrick at zill.net