[geeks] 2TB NAS

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Tue Sep 11 16:06:43 CDT 2007

>From: Sridhar Ayengar <ploopster at gmail.com>
>Date: 2007/09/11 Tue PM 02:57:47 CDT
>To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [geeks] 2TB NAS

<snip>

>That would come out way too large, physically.  I'm not really looking
>for a file server.  Just a NAS.  I know the line's a little blurry.  A
>1U PC would probably do it, but then there's the warranty concern.

How many drives are you thinking? A 1U server would have (at most, in my exp. anyway) 4 bays, meaning you'd have to go to something like 4x 750 Gig HDs to get over 2 Gigs of RAID5 storage...

6x 500 Gig HDs aren't that big (heck, Supermicro makes some nice 2U cases ;^), and you can get them with the MB installed (no CPU/RAM/HDs though):

http://supermicro.com/products/system/2U/6024/SYS-6024H-TR.cfm

Lionel