[geeks] 2TB NAS

Sridhar Ayengar ploopster at gmail.com
Tue Sep 11 14:57:47 CDT 2007

Lionel Peterson wrote:
>> I need a NAS box.  It needs to have 2TB or more of disk, preferably
>> with some parity or mirroring.  It should also have gigabit
>> ethernet capability with jumbo frames support up to the FDDI MTU.
>> If it looks nice, it would be a big plus, and the cheaper the
>> better.
>>
>> Anyone have any recommendations?  Thanks.
>
> I assume your looking for a pre-built system, not a roll-your-own,
> right? I keep meaning to try unRAID from Lime Technology
> (http://lime-technology.com):
>
> up to 3 spindles are free, 6 is $69, and up to 14 drives are $119 for
> the license key, the software boots off a USB key and runs on pretty
> reasonable hardware (i.e. all new should be less than $500 + HDs, and
> 500 Gig SATA drives are just around $100-125 these days)

I'd prefer something that's completely pre-built.  As in, it comes
complete with drives.  That way I only have one vendor to deal with
regarding warranty issues.  Size is also a concern.

> Intel has a nice MB with 6 SATA ports & GigE (DG965WH - from memory)
> for about $85, and they have a nice new CPU (Core-based Celeron w/800
> MHz FSB for about $45, and RAM should be another $50. A case with a
> good PS should be about $100-150. Hot Swap trays aren't THAT
> expensive (if you NEED them), 3 drives in 2 5.25 drive bays is about
> $90, 5 in three drive bays is about $130.

That would come out way too large, physically.  I'm not really looking
for a file server.  Just a NAS.  I know the line's a little blurry.  A
1U PC would probably do it, but then there's the warranty concern.

Peace...  Sridhar