[geeks] Teachers

wa2egp at att.net wa2egp at att.net
Sun Sep 9 10:21:27 CDT 2007

From: "Hicheal Morton" <mh1272 at gmail.com>

> 1)  a friend, whose wife is a special ed, set up a non-profit to cover the
> supplies they purchase from their own money.  they make a tax-deductible
> donation to the non-profit and the non-profit buys the materials.  (yes, a
> tax-deduction is not a tax-credit--but that is better than $0.)
>
> the point is there are methods to mitigate the personal money spent for
> public use.

There is a radio station in NJ that is always ranking on teachers.  Then
a reporter from the New York Times went to the Teacher's Convention and
found that teachers spent an average of $250 there for supplies and
materials.  So much for that "partying" the radio station was claiming.

> 2)  since the USA tax codes does not permit tax deductions on personal
> monies spent for the job until 2% of gross is reached, it is apparent that
> the USA government expects workers to put in 2% of their own money toward
> direct job related expenses.  this includes teachers.  (we spend at least 2%
> a year--last year it was about 5-6%.)

> 3)  USA law also permits certain professions to work overtime for no pay.
> when some one agrees to work in one of these "certain" professions, they are
> agreeing to overtime.  that's why i choose a title other than
> "administrator"--administrators are expected to work free overtime.
> technicians or techologists don't

That's the idea of a "profession".  They don't get an hourly wage.  Actually,
if you figure out $/hr. I make more that my new principal, but he actually
does less work. :)

> my apologies to the outraged teachers, et al.  The tax codes were written by
> democrats, by the way--REALLY taking care of the little man, aren't they.

Learned that in NJ with flim flam Florio.  I don't get outrages anymore, I just
shake my head and sigh.......

Bob