[geeks] "Stress test" for Vista system - suggestions sought...

Phil Stracchino phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net
Sat Sep 8 22:08:14 CDT 2007

Patrick Giagnocavo wrote:
> On Sep 8, 2007, at 7:31 PM, Lionel Peterson wrote:
>
>> OK, OK, keep your smart-aleck remarks to yourself, but I've just
>> put together a system,a nd I am concerned about its "health" - I
>> want to "burn it in" for a while (overnight should do it), and the
>> machine currently has Vista installed - anyone have some ideas?
>>
>> I'd rather not load an involved "distributed" problem-solving
>> program SETI at Home got too confusing for me ;^), but if there is
>> anything that I could either run under Vista or run off media (Live
>> CD, etc.) that would be perfect...
>
> There is mersenne prime checker, mersenne.org - you don't need to
> download units to work on, just do the stress test.  Also memtest86
> which is a very small iso you burn to CD and boot off of (Vista is
> not running, you boot into memtest86 directly).

Yeah, but that won't test how it's working under Vista, and won't really
stress anything but the memory.

Suppose you could always install cygwin and bootstrap gcc a couple dozen
times or so.  gcc really hammers the memory subsystem; if there's
anything shaky there, that'll probably show it up.  Not bad for
exercising the CPU either.

--
        Phil Stracchino                CDK#2
 phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net   alaric at caerllewys.net
 Landline: 603-429-0220           Mobile: 603-320-5438
        It's not the years, it's the mileage.