[geeks] "Stress test" for Vista system - suggestions sought...

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Sat Sep 8 21:54:20 CDT 2007

>From: Bill Bradford <mrbill at mrbill.net>
>Date: 2007/09/08 Sat PM 07:06:11 CDT
>To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [geeks] "Stress test" for Vista system - suggestions sought...

>On Sat, Sep 08, 2007 at 06:31:17PM -0500, Lionel Peterson wrote:
>> OK, OK, keep your smart-aleck remarks to yourself, but I've just put
>> together a system,a nd I am concerned about its "health" - I want to
>> "burn it in" for a while (overnight should do it), and the machine
>> currently has Vista installed - anyone have some ideas?
>
>Sadly, HONESTLY, just doing stuff in the GUI should be plenty of a
>stress test.

But that would require me to sit there for hours on end...

>Interacting with the main system user interface should NOT require a video
>card with more processing power and RAM than the systems I first ran XP on,
>six years ago!

Vista Aero interface is not *required* to run Vista, just ask anyone running
Vista Basic. BTW, Vista Aero requires a card with 128 Meg RAM - what were you
running WinXP with? WinXP required 64 Meg, and 128 was recommended[0], you
can run Vista with 64 Meg RAM on the video card[1]...

Lionel

[0] http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314865
[1] http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsvista/aa905075.aspx (see
footnote 3 at bottom of page for definition of "adequate graphics memory")