[geeks] Odd uptick in spam...

Phil Stracchino phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net
Fri Sep 7 07:43:10 CDT 2007

Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
> On Thu, 6 Sep 2007, Patrick Giagnocavo wrote:
>
>> Google "Storm bot" ...
>
> http://xrl.us/5pmc
>
> Interesting quote:
>
>    ...the latest word from security researchers who are tracking the
>    burgeoning network of Microsoft Windows machines that have been
>    compromised by the virulent Storm worm, which has pounded the Internet
>    non-stop for the past three months....
>
>    "In terms of power, the botnet utterly blows the supercomputers away,"
>    said Matt Sergeant, chief anti-spam technologist with MessageLabs, in
>    an interview. "If you add up all 500 of the top supercomputers, it
>    blows them all away with just 2 million of its machines. It's very
>    frightening that criminals have access to that much computing power,
>    but there's not much we can do about it."

And very revealing that 90% of the time, the most they can think of to
do with it is send spam and DoS IRC servers because somebody failed to
give them their "due" respect.

(Well, their actual due respect is practically nil, but....)

--
        Phil Stracchino                CDK#2
 phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net   alaric at caerllewys.net
 Landline: 603-429-0220           Mobile: 603-320-5438
        It's not the years, it's the mileage.