[geeks] eBay question

wa2egp at att.net wa2egp at att.net
Wed Sep 5 18:56:22 CDT 2007

> I'm saw a discussion on rec.radio.shortwave about a radio for sale.
> I think this point has been brought up here before, so I thought I
> would post the question here too.
>
> What struck me is that it's listed as minimum bid of $400, a BIN of
> $800 and a hidden reserve. I know that's common on eBay, but isn't
> that false advertising?

What if they wanted to get $600 for it?  It fits.  I'm not crazy about
it but that is the way it works.

> If you bid $400, and you were the only bidder, will you get the radio?
> The seller through eBay is IMHO falsely advervtising the radio.

No. If the reserve is higher than your bid you win the bid but it is
still isn't what the seller will take as a minimum.

> What would happen if you went into a store and they had the same deal?
> Could they get away with it?

Got me.  I don't know of any store that allow you to bid an item.

> IMHO someone in  the U.S. should complain to the Federal Trade Commission
> and the consumer groups.

I assume somebody has already tried it and got nowhere.

Bob