[geeks] Teachers

Robert Pasken rpasken at eas.slu.edu
Wed Sep 5 13:11:30 CDT 2007

On Sep 5, 2007, at 12:43 PM, Hicheal Morton wrote:

> I didn't write it! Lionel wrote!  Your arguement is with Lionel NOT
> with me.

> Please do read what Lionel wrote.  If one of your student correctly
> cites a
> source, your problem is with the source and not with the student.  In
> business terms (stolen from the government/military) Don't kill the
> messenger.
>
> Your humble messenger and grasshopper!

Indeed please read carefully, "$64K/year - that is take-home pay
(less taxes/union dues/etc)."  Note carefully the words "(less taxes/
union dues etc)". YOU took that to mean $1230 a week showed up in
your back account after your paycheck arrives (The common definition
of Take home pay). That is defined by your statement

"Nonetheless, I would love to teach for "over $64K - that is take-
home pay". That's $1,230 per week "take-home pay"!

You dropped the "(less taxes/union dues etc)" Using the common
definition of take home pay you're getting about $800 a week. Using a
teachers definition of take home pay (as defined by the district)
$64k per year becomes  9/12 (9 month contract paid over 12 months) *
$64k * 0.60 (taxes, deductions to pay employers contribution to
retirement fund, deductions to pay employers  contribution to health
care) or about $550 a week. I doubt your employer whether it is a
business or the government requires the employee to pay the employers
contribution to the employees

I didn't shoot the messenger I am merely correcting a student who