[geeks] Teachers

Hicheal Morton mh1272 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 5 12:52:49 CDT 2007

On 9/5/07, Dr. Robert Pasken <rpasken at eas.slu.edu> wrote:

> > > <snip>

> paid
> fact
> when in
> that
> like
> got
> > > $50,000
> > >
> > > What? In my discussions and exp. the salaries are what teachers are
> paid
> > > for the work the are contracted to provide in a 12 month period. If
> > > teacher's salaries were reported the way you suggest they are, our
> local
> > > school district would say our teachers make over $100K/year, since the
> > > average (again, take with a grain of salt) salary in our district is
> over
> > > $64K/year - that is take-home pay (less taxes/union dues/etc). In
> other
> > > words, the average teacher has a pre-tax monthly paycheck of around
> > > $7K/month (assuming nine months worked).
> > >
> > > Lionel
> > >

> > $64K TAKE HOME PAY!
> >
> > Can I get a job teaching in your school district?
> >
> > I don't make $64K per year working 52 weeks per year!
> > The average income in the USA was reported to be less than $50K gross
> per
> > year in the local newspaper!
>
> Sure you can! Have you been a teacher for 40 years? Do you have a
> Ph.D.(a true Ph.D. not a Ed.D or purchased Ed.D) in mathematics or a
> science? A starting teacher (B.S. in science or math) makes $24,000.
> Just like a starting day laborer in Missouri starts at $32,000 a year
> and a Journeyman Electrician makes $82,000 a year (my electrician
> neighbor)

It appears that we are in the wrong profession then!

I have an acquaintance in Memphis with a Ph.D. in "real" science.
He went searching for a job and had stop listing his Ph.D. because no one
would hire him.
(Thought he would be too "upitty".)
He finally got a job as a piano tuner and loved it!
It seems that pianos don't argue about cirriculum and don't mind waiting.
Lots less stress than teaching (publish or die thing).
Made more money, too!
He told me that life was better after leaving teaching.
(He was an asst prof at one of the univesities.)

I must admit that I am the black sheep of the family--no Ph.D. (only a
Masters) but my stepdad was only an ABD so what do they expect!