[geeks] eBay question

Dan Sikorski me at dansikorski.com
Wed Sep 5 12:37:31 CDT 2007

Hicheal Morton wrote:
> The point is still valid, the buyer makes the offer and honors it: It is
> always a buyer's market!
>
> No one is forcing you to purchase an item; you can always walk away if you
> don't like the purchase price!
>
> To do otherwise is to give the seller control over your money, your reason,
> and your life!
>
> The phrase, "It's a seller's market" is a marketing ploy to make you believe
> that you have no choice but to buy the item.  It becomes a "mind game" when
> you unwittingly succumb to the hype.  It is a choice should you decide that
> the item has more value than you originally thought.
>
> If one's purchasing choices are made by the seller, one is a fool--and a
> fool and her money are easily parted!
I've never considered it that way, I consider the terms as a way to
describe current market conditions.  It's a supply and demand thing.

When supply is exceeding demand, it is a "buyer's market" because
sellers are desperately seeking buyers, and lowering prices to attract
new buyers, increasing demand.  This is favorable for buyers.

When the demand is exceeding supply, the market is favoring sellers, or
a "seller's market" demand is so high that the seller can increase the
price of the item, which will certainly make him happy.

A quick google search seems to back me up:

http://www.investorwords.com/4470/sellers_market.html
" A market which has more buyers than sellers. High prices result from
this excess of demand over supply. "

http://www.investorwords.com/641/buyers_market.html
"A market which has more sellers than buyers. Low prices result from
this excess of supply over demand. also called soft market. opposite of
seller's market."

    -Dan Sikorski