[geeks] eBay question

Dan Sikorski me at dansikorski.com
Wed Sep 5 12:26:55 CDT 2007

Doug McLaren wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 05, 2007 at 11:26:32AM -0400, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
>
> | Geoff (and others) should go to some agricultural sales some time for a good
> | education in how auctions are used.
>
> If I understand correctly, Geoff understands them fine.  It's just
> that they're being misrepresented.
>
> To put some fake numbers into his real situation --
>
> A radio, on ebay.  Beginning bid is $50.
>                    Current bid is $60.
>                    Reserve is $100, but we don't know that.
>
> Guy posts to a Usenet group, saying `Radio, $50!'
>
> I'm not entirely certain that this is Geoff's situation, but if it is,
> I find this to be deceptive.  It may not legally be false advertising
> (or may be -- I don't know) but it does offend me enough that I won't
> want to do business with this person -- if he'll lie about this, what
> else will he lie about?
>
> The auction itself isn't so deceptive but the Usenet post is.  Well,
> reserve prices might be somewhat deceptive, but they're well known and
> ebay says right there `Reserve price not met' so it's pretty minor.

Yes, and you can certainly tell that usenet poster that he's a fool.  He
has taken the item out of the context of an auction, and suggested that
it was simply for sale at a low price.  That item is not for sale for
$50, $60, or $100, it it up for auction, and it's sale is subject to the
rules and terms of the auction.
> If he knows that the radio will NOT go for under $100, he should at
> least say `Radio, could be yours for $100'.  Less honest would be to
> give the current bid and say `Radio, currently at $60' (still, this is
> quite dishonest.)
>
> (Of course, my argument doesn't really change if there's no current
> bids -- I just included that so I could mention more scenarios.)
>
> Saying `Radio on Ebay, beginning bid $50' is deceptive too if nobody
> can actually get the radio for that price due to a reserve.  Perhaps
> it's technically accurate (and therefore not legally false
> advertising) but it's still misleading.  Saying `Radio, current bid
> $60' is also similarly misleading but not technically lying.

As long as you can acknowledge the fact that the vast majority of bids
are not winning bids, you realize that there is nothing deceptive about
this.  I can have a non-winning bid under two conditions here.  One is
that i am outbid, and the other is that my bid does not meet the
seller's reserve. Either way, my offer to purchase was declined.  There
is no contract, there is no sale.
> What's your recourse?  You don't have one, beyond not buying the
> thing.  Perhaps you could push the false advertising angle, but it
> seems very unlikely to ever get to court.  Ebay certainly doesn't care
> -- it makes them money.

This is not false advertising as long as the item is advertised as being
up for auction.  You are advertising an item and it's starting bid, not
a sale price.  The auction provides a means of negotiating the sale price.
> Look at it this way -- the guy is doing you a favor by letting you
> know that he doesn't mind being deceptive about the price, so he might
> also not mind being deceptive about other things, like the condition
> of the radio.  And who wants to deal with somebody like that?

As with anything else, buyer beware!  Personally, i don't hold the
reserve price against the seller, but there are many other things that i
do hold against them.  Anyone can choose to bid or not bid for any
reason, including their dislike of the use of a reserve price.

    -Dan Sikorski