[geeks] Teachers

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Wed Sep 5 12:16:48 CDT 2007

>From: Doug McLaren <dougmc at frenzied.us>
>Date: 2007/09/05 Wed AM 11:59:21 CDT
>To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [geeks] Teachers

<snip>

>I don't know where you live, but in Austin, the pay scale for teachers
>is here --
>
>   http://www.austin.isd.tenet.edu/inside/hr/salary.phtml
>
>First year teachers get just under $40k/year.
>Forty year teachers get $60,390/year.
>
>That's pretty sad that forty years of experience only gets you a 50%
>raise.  I've only been in the IT industry for 16 years or so, and my
>pay has gone up by a factor of six or so since I started.

Not so fast!

A teacher with 40 years exp. started out making what the market would bear 40 years ago (1967), which might have been closer to $10K, meaning thier salary has gone up by a similar factor of six (in my imaginary example), and a teacher starting out today is (I'm pretty certain) will earn a number much closer to $249K/year in the year 2047, but I suspect a home will cost $1B by then ;^)

Lionel