[geeks] Teachers

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Wed Sep 5 08:22:59 CDT 2007

>From: Dr Robert Pasken <rpasken at eas.slu.edu>
>Date: 2007/09/05 Wed AM 06:35:25 CDT
>To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [geeks] Goodbye, I guess

<snip>

>Let's not forget that teachers salaries are reported as if they were paid
>for 260 days of work (5 business days for 52 weeks) when in pointof fact
>they work 180 days. Thus a teachers salary is reported at $42,000 when in
>point of fact they receive $24,000. For years my wife's W2 form said that
>she was making $25,000 a year, but the school whined that teachers like
>her were getting paid $50,000, they just didn't mention that teachers got
>paid according to the number of days they taught and never saw the $50,000

What? In my discussions and exp. the salaries are what teachers are paid for the work the are contracted to provide in a 12 month period. If teacher's salaries were reported the way you suggest they are, our local school district would say our teachers make over $100K/year, since the average (again, take with a grain of salt) salary in our district is over $64K/year - that is take-home pay (less taxes/union dues/etc). In other words, the average teacher has a pre-tax monthly paycheck of around $7K/month (assuming nine months worked).

Lionel