[geeks] Teachers...

Hicheal Morton mh1272 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 5 07:35:12 CDT 2007

On 9/4/07, wa2egp at att.net <wa2egp at att.net> wrote:

> > I think that something got lost in the conversation - the FTE I saw had
> to do
> > with a multiplier (if you will) that explained why a certain teacher was
> making
> > 20% more than she otherwise would (her job is rated as 1.2 FTE), other
> teachers
> > were making 60 or 75% of their "rate", as they were working .6 and .75
> FTE.
> >
> > I don't think 1.2 FTE for 5 years = 6 years service towards pension, but
> it is
> > an interesting question...
>
> OK. What I was saying was that in one system I know of, they would not
> give you
> a full "load" (don't know if the pay was different but I would assume it
> was) but
> it would not count as a full year.
>
> > But if most are at the top of their payscale, thanit is not too
> misleading, it
> > might actually approach an accurate number as the number of top earners
> > appraches the number of total teachers.
>
> Of course.  And our pay scale is higher than most surrounding towns
> because
> they couldn't get teachers to come into the 'hood so they had to offer
> more
> money.
>
> > I wonder if the Union would absorb the $180K forever, or just the life
> of the
> > current contract, leaving a ticking bomb for the next round of
> negotiations when
> > health care costs would go up the $180K the union offered PLUS
> inflation/normal
> > increases...
>
> Probably not, but that is for the next contract since it was just for the
> length of the contract.
>
> > If you get paid for sick days, then you ARE getting paid for your time
> on the
> > line. State workers scream bloody murder when the state gov't shuts down
> and
> > sends all non-essential employees home for a few days, but amazingly,
> the first
> > thing the legislature does is give them retro-active pay for the days
> they
> > didn't work.
>
> > This has been the case as long as I remember, yet somehow the union
> members
> > forget it and start screaming about starving children, missed rent
> payments, etc
> > at the hint of a shut down...
>
> Well, with us, it's a little different.  I work 185 days/yr for a fixed
> amount.
> If I miss a day, I can be docked the amount of pay for that day.  Now, in
> my
> district we have three sick days allowed per year before we get
> docked.  If
> you have not used them, they roll over.  A benefit for having perfect
> attendance.  In spite of my surgery last year, I have over 220 sick days
> [...]

Bob wrote: "In spite of my surgery last year, I have over 220 sick days in
my [sick] bank."

Hmmmmm............

Are you really that old?

22 years to complete your education
73.3 teaching years to accrue 220 sick days (at 3days per work year)

You are at least 95.3 Years of AGE!!!

You must be commended on your quick and coherent mind!
   What is your successful longevity due to...
   Good food, exercise, and thoughts everyday?
   or
   A Good cigar and good whiskey everyday?

Perspiring minds want to know!