[geeks] Goodbye, I guess

Dr Robert Pasken rpasken at eas.slu.edu
Wed Sep 5 06:35:25 CDT 2007

On Tue, 4 Sep 2007 wa2egp at att.net wrote:

> > The FTE was used to show why a certain teacher was making the highest salary
> > (1.2 FTE), and a few others were making low salaries (.6 and .75 FTE).
>
> Usually that would be years of service.  This implies that a year may not be a
> year.  Oh well.  Most people wouldn't see 1.2 FTE being the same as, let's say,
> 25 years of service.
>
> > The average salary is the only number really talked about here in my local (NJ)
> > district, and it is pretty high. The school board and the teachers are at an
> > impasse regarding a new contract - the school board wants teachers to contribute
> > to their health insurance, they (obviously) prefer to have it paid 100% by the
> > school board.
> >
> > Personally, I hope the union goes on strike and the teachers have to contribute
> > towards healthcare AND don't get back pay for the time they spend "on the picket
> > line"...
>
> Average salary can be misleading.  My district it is high because 80% of the
> teachers are on the top step.  The pay scale also affects it too.  Each district
> is different.
>
> I remember the strike in Middletown a few years ago.  It was health costs.  They
> had increased $200k.  The union said they would absorb $180K of it.  The board
> said no and there was a strike.  Teachers were put in jail. All over $20K in
> a district whose cheapest house was $350K
>
> You don't get paid when you are on strike.  At best, those days are called
> "sick" days.  I wouldn't mind paying a reasonable amount of health care.
> Unfortunately, many districts want the teachers to pay ALL of their health
> care and I'll bet in some of them, people in central office have the system
> pay most of theirs.  Teachers are easy targets.
>
> Bob

Let's not forget that teachers salaries are reported as if they were paid
for 260 days of work (5 business days for 52 weeks) when in pointof fact
they work 180 days. Thus a teachers salary is reported at $42,000 when in
point of fact they receive $24,000. For years my wife's W2 form said that
she was making $25,000 a year, but the school whined that teachers like
her were getting paid $50,000, they just didn't mention that teachers got
paid according to the number of days they taught and never saw the $50,000