[geeks] eBay question

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Wed Sep 5 03:27:50 CDT 2007

On Wed, Sep 05, 2007 at 02:14:16AM -0400, Dan Sikorski wrote:
> I would disagree.  Auctions are frequently used to liquidate an estate
> or to quickly sell real estate.  Around here, school systems have
> regular auctions.  An auction is appropriate whenever the market price
> of an item is unclear, either due to scarcity or high demand.

None of this is relevant. I'm not saying that there is anything wrong
with an auction, or that there is no reason for it. I am complaining
about advertising a minimum bid, which by definition is the lowest
acceptable price, and then refusing to honor it.

By setting an undisclosed reserve, he's "got his fingers crossed behind
his back".

All the wikipedia quotes, all "the it's done in a traditional auction"
don't count, it's also false advertising there too, but no one has seen
fit to do anything about it.

Geoff.
IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838