[geeks] Whee! The EEE is available in the US

hike mh1272 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 31 21:34:42 CDT 2007

On Oct 31, 2007 12:37 PM, Joshua Boyd <jdboyd at jdboyd.net> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 31, 2007 at 12:42:47PM -0400, nate at portents.com wrote:
> > > This is a more conventional laptop, it can run WinXP, the RAM can be upped
> > > to 1 Gig
> >
> > Can be upgraded after you break a seal and void your warranty.  And good
> > luck fitting XP in 4GB of storage.  And a 7" screen that's 800x480?
> > Pathetic.  Nokia has a 800x480 4.13" screen in it's N770, 800, and 810.
> >
> > Too many misses.  Maybe someone else will come out with a more reasonable
> > machine now.
>
> How much of a miss they are is relative to price though.  At the
> original $200 I would have said that I could easily live with the
> screen.  But not for $400.

i guess when one is wrapped in geek-dom, the "other" news never makes
it through the geek filter!

the usdollar is getting bashed everywhere.
the exchange rate is now in the favour of the non-usd currencies.
this means it takes more usd to pay for a foreign item.
example is the candian dollar--it use to be valued less than a usd.
but now the usd is less than the canadian dollar.
the same is true for the euro, the chinese currency, and others.
(the saudis are threatening to change from the usd to another currency.
if that happens, usa goods will be cheaper than the chinese goods we buy now.
hello recession!  good buy raises, etc.!)

the olpc's xo cost is up for the same reason.
wait til christmas when all the computers jump up in price!