[geeks] Best laptop for $3K max

Francois Dion francois.dion at gmail.com
Wed Oct 31 13:46:56 CDT 2007

On 10/31/07, Lionel Peterson <lionel4287 at verizon.net> wrote:
> >From: Francois Dion <francois.dion at gmail.com>
> >Date: 2007/10/31 Wed AM 05:59:21 CDT
> >To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
> >Subject: Re: [geeks] Best laptop for $3K max
>
> >On 10/30/07, Francois Dion <francois.dion at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> This is more geek than rescue, although there's an interesting laptop
> >> discussion over there.
> >>
> >> Anyway, I've been looking at a few laptops. I thought I wanted a
> >> precision M6300 but it's a bit too big. The M4300 seems more what I'm
> >> looking for. Actually the XPS would have been good too, but the M1330
> >> just has a pathetic resolution and M1730 is too big. Too bad they dont
> >> make an M1530.
> >>
> >> So anyway, I'm looking at the M4300. just a tad less than $3000 MSRP:
> >
> >What about the Lenovo T61 15 wide 6459CTO. Resolution is again 1680,
> >at least not 1440x900. But even with 4GB, a T7800 (2.6GHz), nvidia
> >quadro fx570m etc... it only comes to a little over $2300! So if I go
> >with 1600 class resolution, this seems to be the ticket, and with
> >1920, the Dell M4300.
> >
> >Any owner of T61 out there?
>
> Check out the Lenovo Outlet, they have very nice T7700 laptops for $1000 - 1500, with various screens and graphics options. The nicest laptops (CPU/Graphics/Screen combo) may not have the memory/disk you want, but at *half* (or less) of your price ceiling, there is plenty of $$ to upgrade the RAM/HD.
>
> http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/web/LenovoPortal/en_US/special-offers.workflow:ShowPromo?LandingPage=/All/US/Portals/Lenovo_Outlet/T-Series
>
> They are also having a sale, up to 25% off, new build-to-order laptops including the T61 you are interested in...
>
> Lionel

Thanks. The weirdest thing is no WUXGA, only WSXGA+, but I found a
link for a T61P with WUXGA with all the stuff I want for about $2600,
with WWAN merlin card, nice. It looks like they wont ship until way in
december though. Probably back ordered.

I guess I'll wait a few more weeks and see how things pan out.

Francois