[geeks] FYI: CompUSA is offering OS X 10.5 for $99 (after rebate)

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Tue Oct 30 12:30:24 CDT 2007

On Tue, 30 Oct 2007, Joshua Boyd wrote:

>> know how to plan for the next week--let alone the next 5 years, can't
>> find most of our allies on a map[1], can't define "agriculture"[2] or
>> "economy" or "technology" or "culture, and really and truly believes
>
>> [2] Oh boy do I have a fun side-story about that.
>
> Then you should share it.

Well, two of my consulting clients are radio stations.  I maintain BSD
systems that do automated podcasting of on-air programming, among other
fun stuff.  One of these stations is in southern California.  The other
is about 35 miles from here, out in rural Milam County.

The rural station carries local ethnic programming (a lot of Czech and
Polish targeted stuff), talk radio, and agriculture market information.
Since I've gotten involved with them, it really has turned into one of
my favorite[0] stations.  However, they just got started a couple months
ago, and need more advertisers and more programming.  So, they're
looking for salesmen.

This one fellow showed up at the studio about the salesman job, but his
big deal was that the station shouldn't even bother with "all those
farmers" and "crappy old music".  They could really succeed if they
"targeted a more urban demographic".

Well, the station manager grew up on a farm and still has farmers in his
family.  So, he took the guy to task and asked him "Hey, what do you do
two or three times a day?"  "uh, I dunno, go to the bathroom?  drive?"
"EAT, moron!  Where do you think that food comes from?"  "It comes from
the government!"

The conversation went downhill from there.

[0] http://radio.celestrion.net/ select "KTAE 1330 AM".  Javascript and
     Flash are required because I'm lazy.
--
Jonathan Patschke     )  "So far, 99% of illegal activity has been caused
Elgin, TX            (    by criminals."