[geeks] FYI: CompUSA is offering OS X 10.5 for $99 (after rebate)

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Tue Oct 30 12:06:34 CDT 2007

On Oct 29, 2007, at 11:54 PM, Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 29, 2007 at 10:18:32PM -0400, Shannon Hendrix wrote:
>
>> What do you think about someone like Ron Paul?  He's on the
>> republican ticket, but he's a pretty solid libertarian.
>
> He's a xenophobic twit who has collected every nut in the U.S.
> behind him.

Huh?

> Obviously you have not been following the news, the "9/11 truthers",
> anti-war whatevers, American White People's Party (neo-Nazi),
> etc, have rallied behind him.

So?

They've rallied around Bush, Clinton, and almost anyone else they
think might temporarily tolerate them.

That doesn't have a thing to do with that Ron Paul thinks.

If he believes in that sort of crap, he isn't telling anyone about it.

>> Of course, people don't like him because he doesn't promise them
>> largess like the rest of the candidates.
>
> No, what he promises is a disaster in foreign policy, a disater
> in domestic policy and if he were elected, the people on this
> list would put up against the wall, right after the marketing
> department of the Cyrius Cybernetic Corporation.

Where do you get this?

It's Hillary and Gulliani that this list should be worried about.

>> look at the problems with a split house/senate and president have
> caused. The U.S. is in the early stages of a depression that will
> end up like Germany in the 1930's. Have you seen the value of the
> dollar on international markets? Oil was $85 a barrel a few days
> ago.

The value of the dollar and any kind of references to Germany has
nothing at all to do with  split parties.

It was the *LACK* of split parties that caused the Nazis to gain power.

Regarding economy: World economy is a fickle thing.  It could all
change in a heartbeat.

Also remember that the world economy is probably about 80% dependent
on sea lanes, and our (US) navy does most of the work keeping them
open, along with UK, Denmark, and a tiny few others.

The vast majority of world citizens don't even know any of this, or
how fragile it is.

The giant cargo ships that keep the worldwide economy going are
helpless against any kind of aggression, and we are more dependent on
them now than at any other time in history.

If the US falls, the rest of the world goes with us.

It should scare the hell out of anyone to think about exactly what
that sort of thing means.

> While there have been many forclosures over the last summer in the
> poor parts of the U.S., wait until all of those sub-prime mortgages
> (almost all of them are adjustable rate) adjust to current rates.

Definitely agree that lending is a mess.

> My prediction is  that if a Republican gets elected in 2008, then
> they will go to 15% and if a Democrat gets elected, 21% like in
> the Carter days. I'll go even further. If Ron Paul gets elected,
> mortgages will go down to 5% because the Saudi's are prohibited
> from charging "excessive" interest, but they will own your ass.

Or we could simply start charging them and a lot of the rest of the
world for what they get from us for a change.

Let's start by having the UN fight and also pay for its own battles.

US outlays to fund operations it has no valid interest in are
staggering.

> Bush had the lowest "approval rating" of any president, and now
> Congress's and the Senate's is even lower.

Approval rating is the last thing I would look for to judge Congress
or the President.

Unfortunately, most people seem to not care about anything that
concerns me, and care about things I not only don't care about, but
which I think it is dangerous to focus on.

Of course, I'm happy when I see people wake up and start thinking
right, but it isn't a frequent enough event yet.