[geeks] FYI: CompUSA is offering OS X 10.5 for $99 (after rebate)

Phil Stracchino phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net
Sat Oct 27 12:01:12 CDT 2007

Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
> What it really boils down to is whether we consider out vendors based
> entirely on price alone, or whether we want to reward vendors who treat
> customers and their communities well.  A purely-capitalist system would
> say that only price matters.  However, a purely-capitalist system would
> also say that customers only matter so long as they're buying something,
> and we have sufficient population density that vendors can irritate
> roughly as many people as they like, and "there'll always be someone
> else."
>
> I believe in capitalism as a system, but I also recognise that, much
> like a republican form of government, it requires some degree of
> vigilance.  People need to be serious about moving their business away
> from companies that treat them or their communities poorly.  They only
> other two options are increased government controls, or that the
> companies walk all over us, neither of which is an improvement.

ihnjh,ijls "principle of enlightened self-interest".

(Which says, among other things, that there's not much long-term future
in out-competing your competition by being so cut-throat that the local
economy collapses.)

--
        Phil Stracchino                CDK#2
 phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net   alaric at caerllewys.net
 Landline: 603-429-0220           Mobile: 603-320-5438
        It's not the years, it's the mileage.