[geeks] FYI: CompUSA is offering OS X 10.5 for $99 (after rebate)

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Fri Oct 26 10:08:11 CDT 2007

On Oct 26, 2007, at 1:27 AM, Rick Hamell wrote:

> No. Compusa closed their stores because of Walmart. There were
> several news
> articles about it, but essentially a couple of Christmas Shopping
> Seasons
> ago Walmart reduced Big screen TV prices 30% below their cost.
> Compusa lost
> millions and wasn't able to recover.

TVs appearing in CompUSA neatly coincided with their going rapidly
downhill.  That's the same moment they greatly reduced their computer
related inventory, and I think that hurt them a lot.  I talked to
some people who said that almost instantly when they moved into TVs
big-time, they lost tons of corporate contracts and it hurt them
badly chain-wide.

Then Wal-Mart starts dumping.

Yeah, I can see that chain of events hurting them plenty.

Wal-Mart sucks.  They've destroyed so many other companies, and we
just let them do it.